On Thu, 19 Jul 2012 17:39:12 +0200
gaffa <deb...@folkemagt.dk> wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 23:45:34 -0400
> Celejar <cele...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 23:30:57 -0400
> > Gary Dale <garyd...@rogers.com> wrote:

> > > Personally I think one of the biggest appeals of Debian (and of
> > > Linux in general) is the commitment to freedom. IP laws and the
> > > degree to which hardware vendors support freedom is relevant to
> > > purchasing decisions.
> >
> > I agree.
> >
> > > Debian users need to understand that attempts to encumber knowledge
> > > for profit are inherently wrong.
> >
> > I don't wholly agree here. I have a very strong preference for FLOSS,
> > for many reasons, but I fully respect the rights of others to develop,
> > sell, buy and use non-FLOSS. It is the right of others, individuals
> > and corporations, to develop, market and sell proprietary software;
> > it is my right to avoid such stuff to whatevenr extent possible.
> >

> Yes, when you look at it from the developers point of view, but there
> can never be any advantage for the user by not having the rights FLOSS
> provides. At least I can't think of any consumer case where you
> would want less rights. I agree that we must preserve full

Of course - but that's a bit like saying that although companies have
the right to charge for their products (say, apples, or cars), I can't
think of any case where I would not want to get them for free, and
where there would be any advantage to me for having to pay for them ;)
Of course, but that doesn't mean I have the right to expect the company
to accommodate me here.

> personal liberty and make changes by taking a conscious choice.

Celejar