On 15/08/2012 10:05, Merciadri Luca wrote:

Hi,

I've got a backup of /home on some external HDD. Let us
consider that one of my internal HDDs, more precisely the one containing
/home, fails. I then need to replace it. If I manage to make the
external HDD internal, and change /etc/fstab consequently, would it work
without any issues? When should I change /etc/fstab? Would the path to
the `new internal HDD' (the one which was precedently external) be the
same as the path to the old one (the one that failed)?

Thanks.
- --
Merciadri Luca

Hi, if your backup consists in a copy of folders/files from your /home/username and respects the standard hierarchy (backup should contains a "username" folder with all your files and folder in it), and if the copy method and the filesystem preserved the permissions (and eventually other attributes), you can simply plug the disk in, change the backup drive partition UUID to the one used in the fstab and be done with it.

Boot your system in single user or from a live-cd, or any other linux system at hand, plug your external backup drive, read the UUID used for /home in your fstab and apply it to the external drive partition (unmounted):

tune2fs -U UUID-from-the-fstab /dev/address-of-backup-drive-partition

It works with labels too, use option "-L" instead of "-U".

man tune2fs is your friend.

Of course you can do it the other way round, change your fstab to the new drive partition UUID or label. If the filesystem is different from the original partition you need to update the fstab accordingly in any case.

If you don't use UUID's or labels in fstab, then anything can happen. It's hard to predict the name your new drive will show up with.

Hope it helps.