> On Aug 21, 2012, at 6:53 AM, Camaleón wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 13:37:43 -0700, Weaver wrote:
>>

>>> I regularly log 40-47Kb/s on updates.. Cheers,
>

> And so do we all...  The problem here is not the network bandwidth,
> it's that some parts of the update process have to download a lot of
> small files (a few KiB each).  Each file involves a negotiation
> process that needs several round-trips and one or more file-directory
> lookups on the part of both the server and the client.  The round-
> trips may be on the order of hundreds of milliseconds, so the time to
> retrieve a 4 KiB file can be on the order of a half second or more.
> That translates to 8KiB/s for that particular file.  Sad, but it's a
> fact of life on a global-scale packet switched network.
>
> Look at the reported speed when downloading a large package.  Here you
> have the opportunity to take full advantage of a big pipe and large
> windows on each end to fill the pipe.  Your limiting rate here is more
> likely to be the ability of the server to get your file off its disk
> at the same time as it's getting other files for other clients off the
> same disk.
>
> For example, I find that getting security updates is much slower
> (factor of 4 or 5, often) than getting new packages from one of the
> big mirrors.  The "security.debian.org" server seems to be a
> bottleneck.  There's a design trade-off here -- between getting
> security stuff posted and available quickly (in favor of a single
> server or at most a small number of servers), and getting it out at
> high bandwidth (in favor of mirroring it to lots of servers with the
> attendant polling delays) the Debian folks have opted to get security
> stuff available quickly but at a lower bandwidth, and regular package
> updates available with some delay but at higher bandwidth.
>
> Hope this helps to understand what you're seeing.

Yes, I understand this, Rick, but even with Cameleon's suggestion of
downloading a larger file from Oracle's servers, at a quiet time of night,
a 64 MB download (Mysql's community edition, X86_64) still takes one
minute and seven seconds.

I understand also, that many can't get these speeds, but when you are
paying for 100MB/s and not even getting ADSL1 speeds, the ethic bothers
me.

I've worked for myself, predominantly, since the age of 17 and no client
would ever be able to say that they got short-changed by me.
It's unethical business, pure and simple.
This goes against the grain.

There was another post from somebody, also, that I deleted accidentally
before replying and, yes, I understand the difference between 'bits' and
'bytes', etc.
A byte is 8 bits so you are never going to get a Kilobit.
I'm just a little lazy with upper and lowercase sometimes, that's all.
Regards,

Weaver
--
"I invite you to name a society that created a secret prison
 system, outside the rule of law, where torture takes place,