On Sun, 26 Aug 2012 21:41:46 -0500, Charles Kroeger wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Aug 2012 16:10:03 +0200
> Camaleón <noela...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> If package "linux-sound-base" has been dropped and this generates an
>> error in your system, you better report it,
>
> Thanks for this advice maybe I should report that when removing the
> linux-sound-base and replacing it with alsa-base something comes muted
> in the alsamixer(gui) that seemed to only be resolved with 'keyboard'
> comands mentioned in the gui help menu. That's all I can tell you.

Today the package has been also removed from my system (wheezy) let's see
how it goes. Until now, I have not experienced any problem but I use a
common configuration (full GUI with gnome3 and gnome-shell).

> Anyway I've got sound back now even with alsamixergui set as before when
> sound was crippled after the changeover. I think this was probably
> intentional as alsamixergui still starts always closed on my 32bit
> version of Debian sid.

Good that you have it sorted out :-)

Let me restart the system and see what happens now the package has been
removed. (restared) It looks normal, "amixer" shows all the I/O are
toggled "on".

> By the way, you don't know a way to change that do you? i.e. keep
> alsamixergui 'on' all the time with the 32 bit Debian sid like it is on
> the 64 bit version.

Well, you can "unmute" any of the detected input/outputs by this command
that can be run on system boot:

amixer set PCM 100 unmute

Not sure if this will help in your case, though... maybe using "alsactl"
to store the volume/unmuted options is preferable :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón