Le Ven 31 août 2012 6:42, daniel jimenez a écrit :
> Hello guys,
>

> @richard,
>

> 1 this is not homework, a friend asked me to do some statistics on an
> experimental dataset he got for his masters thesis and the file was
> already that way.
>
> 2 i'm well versed in fortran, this problem however is not what i'm used
> to. I thought about reading the line bare in character mode, but thought
> there should be a more time-efficient (coding time, that is) tool for this
> type of problem than some 'tab-finding' code in fortran which would just
> obfuscate my code unnecessarily.
>
> 3 apart from R code, I'm not used to object oriented oriented programming
>  and I have only done bash for scripting. I read a bit of the usefulness
> of perl, awk and sed a while ago but I haven't had the time to get into
> that yet.
>
> 4 I thought reading someone's suggestions (and retyping the proposed
> code) on this task would be a nice way of learning a few basic concepts on
> some of these scripting languages. That is why I stated the problem the
> way I did, for others to understand the problem easily and throw some
> lines of code at lunch time or something.. I've done that on physics
> forums for fortran code or bash scripts (which generally automates fortran
> program runs, archival of datafiles and plotting with gnuplot)
>
> 5 The data is from a photon counter, I don't know why it is encoded like
> that...
>
> @john
>

> I'm having a look at your solution and expect to learn from it. Many
> thanks!
>
> daniel

About the 3rd point, code snippets were not using Oriented Object
paradigm, except if you consider that a command is an object which can be
casted in a string...(and using OOP for this script would have been like
taking a bazooka to kill a fly imho)

The paradigm used in those codes was the same as the one you use in bash:
imperative programming.
As far as I remember, bash could have done such scripts:
_ using grep into extract lines. Maybe a combination of head and tail
could do that too. With some magic behind.
_ using for to parse each line, because if I am not wrong, this loop in
bash just take the first word of a "phrase" where words are split by
spaces
I could be wrong, because I do not really master bash scripts... Maybe
I'll try to implement something to extract words with bash, someday, could
be an interesting exercise.