On 09/10/2012 10:16 AM, Stan Hoeppner wrote:

On 9/10/2012 8:19 AM, The Wanderer wrote:

But from what I'm told, hardware RAID has the downside that it often relies
on the exact model of RAID card; if the card dies, you'll need an exact duplicate in order to be able to mount the RAID.

You've been misinformed.

Then, apparently, so has everyone else other than you whom I recall having ever
seen give advice on the subject.

The oldest discussion of RAID I remember reading is specifically about the
problems people had with finding a matching RAID controller when their existing
one died. I've seen the same basic discussion repeated over and over. I've seen
this repeatedly cited as the strongest reason to consider software RAID.

If the distinction is between a RAID "controller" and a RAID "card", then okay,
fair enough; my bad. But I was under the impression that in most cases the
controller is integrated with the card, and so getting a matching controller
would necessitate getting a matching card.

And, given your admission that you have no personal experience with hardware
RAID, and almost no knowledge of it, it seems odd you'd jump into a thread
and tell everyone about its apparent limitations.

It could be considered a bit odd, yes. It's simply that I don't like to see only
one side of an argument presented, and it seemed to me - whether accurately or
not - that you were A: leaving out known downsides of hardware RAID (as I'd seen
them described repeatedly) and B: not presenting the advantages of software
RAID.

Since I do use software RAID, and chose it over hardware RAID after conscious
consideration based on what explanations I could find of both, it seemed worth
speaking up.

--
      The Wanderer

side of it.

Every time you let somebody set a limit they start moving it.
  - LiveJournal user antonia_tiger