Chris Bannister <cbannis...@slingshot.co.nz> writes:

> On Sun, Sep 09, 2012 at 02:11:33AM -0400, Doug wrote:
>> >
>> Artha: deprecate: express strong disapproval of; deplore
>
> You can disapprove of the behaviour, but the "behaviour is
> disapproved", is not the same as the "behaviour is deprecated"
>
> disapproved is a transitive verb
> deprecated is an adjective.
>

> Sorry about being pedantic.

"Disapproved" is as much an adjective as "deprecated".

[1] is an example as to how "deprecate" is being used in the
language. If I understand that correctly, you can "deprecate" something
(transitive) which then becomes "deprecated" (adjective).

Question: Why is it "disapprove *of* something" and "deprecate
something", rather than "deprecate *of* something"?

[1]: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deprecation

--
Debian testing amd64