On Sat, 15 Sep 2012 04:36:36 -0700, Weaver wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> Newbie Installation of Debian Squeeze 6.0.5 i386 Netinstall disc.

IMO, newbies should go for CD or DVD installation disc instead.

> We have a fairly typical, hand-me-down box, P4, 2.8 GH, 2 GB of RAM,
> with two Debian installs already in situ on sda. The empty sdb, 120 GB
> ATA, will be used for the install:

(...)

>  Partitioning: Entire disc selected. Separate /home selected.
> In my opinion, the third option of separate /usr, /var, /tmp/ /home here
> are wasted, as anybody that is going for that sort of option set are
> probably going to go for the more fine-grained approach the 'Expert
> Install' option caters to.

Hard disk partitioning is a delicated task that cannot be easily un-done
afterwards without pain so having a fair default (separate "/home") and
additional options is fine with me, even for newbies.

>                      Computed Partitions.
>
> / = 10 GB – Bootable ext3 – I would probably go for a little more than
> this, because the newbie appetite wants to try out everything! koffice,
> libreoffice, calligra, gnomeoffice along with gnumeric and abiword to
> see what they look like and make a preferred selection. Likewise with
> every single video player, music player, browser and mail client.
> They'll pare everything down after the first six months when decisions
> are made, but they need plenty of room initially. I'd be looking at at
> least 12.5 GB. Worked out on the percentage of drive space, of course.

10 GiB is very scarce for today defaults. I would add more room here.

> /swap = 4.1 GB which fits nicely with the 2 GB of RAM.

I will use a 3 GiB partition.

> /home =105.9 GB ext3.

IMO, too much space for /home. I would split the remaining space for "/
home" and "/".

> I wondered at ext3 being the default, instead of ext4, but that may well
> be just the time slot that squeeze fitted into.

At the time Squeeze was released, ext3 was a sensible default, indeed.

> Finish Partitioning and Write to Disc
>
> At the top is an annotation which says:
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ “This is an overview of your
> currently configured partitions and mountpoints. Select a partition to
> modify its settings (filesystem, mountpoint, etc.), a free space to
> create partitions, or a device to initiate its partition table.”
>  This is beyond Double-Dutch to a newbie. If you said 'mountpoint' to
>  your
> average newbie, he would be looking round for the horse. Likewise with
> 'partition' (office furniture) and 'filesystem' (the technique required
> to get out of jail when they catch him, now that he has his hands on
> some 'real' hacker software).

You are being too much protective. A linux user (newbie or not) should
know what these terms are or at least, have a bare idea of their meaning.

> When you need to relay some information to somebody, you need to make an
> accurate assessment of the communication level of your audience.
> Otherwise, you simply don't communicate. If they aren't in front of you
> in order to do this, you assume no knowledge and operate from that
> 'mountpoint'.

Hidding too much information can be as bad as displaying all the data.

> Here's an example – rough, not at all polished:

(...)

In my experience, people do not tend to read much at the installation
screen neither this is a good place where to stay for too long. Too much
text can make the user to doubt and the installation wizard cannot be a
replacement for a good manual such the Relase Notes and Installation
Guide.

> So, onward we go....

(...)

> Popularity Contest = Yes. There's more explanation here than there is
> for partitioning.

I would remove this option.

> Graphical desktop Environment = Yes

(...)

I will add a warning here about the time it can take to download the full
DE so the installation process can be delayed noticeabily.

> There might, from a newbie perspective, need to be a short note at the
> proxy configure stage. What's a proxy?

Come on... if they are currently browsing the web and getting e-mails in
their inbox they should already know what a proxy is.

> But from what I can see, the only major bulwark to a more substantial
> user uptake is the clarification of partitioning. The installer has now
> reached the stage where everything else is pretty much self-explanatory.

I will avoid a verbose installer.

Debian people has done a marvelous work with thteir documentation and
this step (Partitioning) is very well explained there¹ (even it has a
separate Appendix!).

¹http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch06s03.html.en#di-partition

Greetings,

--