On Sat, 15 Sep 2012 16:04:47 +0200, lavcina wrote:

>>So first problem in KDE: HDMI output is not always enabled. In what way
>>"breaks"? Please describe what happens, what's what you see.
>

> yes that's the case. The kde Monitor configuration tool sometimes does
> not recognize the HDMI device and just blank fields are displayed. My
> little VGA Monitor then becomes the main display and the only one stated
> in the kde tool. The HDMI Monitor does not start  at all or becomes the
> extended virtual screen. On boot-up only the middle part of my big HDMI
> screen is used and the login screen blinks slowly

- Can you enable the HDMI monitor manually by means of "xrandr"?

- Does the same happen with Squeeze stock kernel? If I recall correctly,
you were using a kernel from backports.

- Does the same happen with an updated kernel (backports has now kernel
3.2.23)

- Does the same happen with GNOME or just randomly with KDE?

>>First problem in GNOME: screen resolution is wrong.
>
>>Second problem in GNOME: Refresh rate is wrong.
>
>>Both issues (with KDE and GNOME) can be due to the static values you
>>have defined at the "xorg.conf" file. What happens when you rename this
>>file (e.g., to something like "/etc/X11/xorg.conf.old") and boot the
>>system?
>

> I don't think there is something like a static config file.

I'm neither that sure but testing this won't hurt (just remember to make
a backup of the original "xorg.conf" file at first place).

> I'll show you the ls output of /etc/X11

(re-arranging the output)

> ls -p  /etc/X11
> app-defaults/
> default-display-manager
> rgb.txt
> xinit/
> Xreset
> Xresources/
> Xsession.d/
> XvMCConfig cursors/
> fonts/
> xkb/
> Xreset.d/
> Xsession
> Xsession.options
> Xwrapper.config

Run "locate xorg.conf" and send here the output. And also run "ls -l /usr/
share/X11/xorg.conf.d", just in case.

>>In Squeeze, the VGA 3D capabilities are not required unless you are
>>using some kind of window compositing (such Compiz or KWin) which
>>benefits from it but in any case, enabling direct rendering wouldn't do
>>any harm while can speed up the desktop
>
> direct rendering sounds good. After solving my display problems you are
> invited to show me how to enable it ... 3D is quite nice too but not
> really necessary now...

If you're interested, you can enable 3D by following these
instructions ;-)

http://wiki.debian.org/AtiHowTo

Greetings,

--