Ed Jabbour <e...@att.net> writes:

> I'd like to remove packages gotten from deb-multimedia and replace
> some from the Debian repos.  However, removing them will also remove a
> bunch  of libs and kde progs. E.g., apt-get remove libavcodec53
> yields:
>
> 0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 190 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
>
> I'm not up to reinstalling 190 packages.

You can look at the list of packages that will be removed and from that
list, you can pick the packages you still want.  After removing the many
packages, make the DMO repository unavailable and just re-install the
few packages you want.  I tried it a while ago, using aptitude.  268
packages were removed --- about five of them I wanted and re-installed
them.  So far, I'm not missing anything.

--
Debian testing amd64