After review a gazillion scanners I have concluded that the Plustek OpticFilm 7400 is my best choice for my needs and my budget. Unfortunately, they don't support Linux. Vuescan doesn't support this Plustek scanner. Does anyone know of a software solution to this problem or know of a scanner for less than about $250 that has 48 bit color, will *actually* resolve better than 3000dpi, has dust removal, has a Dmax >= 3.6. and has multiple scan capability to improve contrast.

I just finished a disastrous round with all in one printer and don't want to get into another one with film scanners.

Any help would be appreciated.

Gary R.

PS :
1. The HP Workforce Pro 8600 with downloaded files from HP works great.
2. The package gscan2pdf has some minor bugs but is a fantastic PDF generator.
3. Stay away from Epson.