On Thu, 20 Sep 2012 13:21:33 -0700, Mike McClain wrote:

>     I'm on dialup using pppd and loosing the connection often in the
> middle of fetching mail or loading some URL in the browser. I'm hoping
> for suggestions to help me debug the problem.

(...)

>     My logs show this when I close the connection with 'poff':
(...)
> Sep 16 08:56:01 playground pppd[13474]: sent [LCP TermReq id=0x2 "User
> request"]

That looks like a manual hang off.

>     Often I see this:
(...)
> Sep 16 14:12:52 playground pppd[1762]: sent [LCP TermReq id=0x2 "Peer not
> responding"]

(...)

You can try by adding/enabling "crtscts" and also the "modem" options at the
config file. depending on the hardware you're using, these were to alleviate
the kind of errors you get although OTOH, dialup links are very unreliable,
it's quite usual to get random disconnects.

>     I can see that sometimes my ISP seems to go to sleep but other
> times it appears to be some other problem and I just don't know how to
> gather the data to make an informed diagnosis.
>
>     Any suggestions on how to track pppd's shutdown with greater
> resolution will be appreciated.

I think the first to do would be enabling verbose/debug logging for pppd.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón