On Sun, 23 Sep 2012 18:49:59 +0200
lee <l...@yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:

> Celejar <cele...@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > On Thu, 20 Sep 2012 03:11:59 +0200
> > lee <l...@yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:

> >> isn't something I would want to do, and I don't understand why websites
> >> which are there to let people watch videos attempt to make watching them
> >> so difficult for people that they can't watch the videos in the first
> >> place.
> >
> > Perhaps because they don't want people grabbing the videos and watching
> > them without browsing to their site, or reposting them elsewhere?
>
> People have to go to their website to get it either way.  How many would
> post them somewhere else?  There's no reason to do that when their
> website works fine.

The site might be ugly, and full of display ads ;)

> >> Maybe I'll just remove this gecko plugin; there's no point in having it
> >> installed when it doesn't work or when it doesn't do anything.  Why are
> >> people creating plugins that don't work or don't do anything?
> >
> > You're being rather shortsighted; just because it doesn't work *for you*
> > doesn't mean that it categorically "doesn't work" and "doesn't do
> > anything".
>
> For one thing, it doesn't matter to me if it works for someone else or
> not.  For another thing, I installed it through the packet management

Whether it matters to *you* is irrelevant - you asked "why are people
creating plugins that don't work", and the answer is than they work for
at least some people.

> like someone else would and it doesn't work, so I have no reason to
> believe that it would work for someone else.  And there was someone else
> here for whom it didn't work either.

And there are those for whom it does work.

> > I've used it many times to watch / download media that I
> > couldn't access any other way.
>
> How did you do that?

I don't have exact directions; AFAIR, it was just a matter of clicking
on video links and then having a browser tab with the gecko thingies
open up to play the video, with mplayer processes doing the behing the
scenes work.

> > [I'm not particularly interested
> > in watching / listening in a browser, so I usually use the plugin
> > to start up some mplayer processes, then use 'ps ax | grep
> > mplayer' to get the stream url and feed it to vlc to save the stream.
> > Yes, I know mplayer itself can save streams, but vlc has been
> > much more reliable for me.]
>
> Why not use wget?

If the website gives you a mms:// url, can wget download the content
from that (I don't know, I've never tried it)?

Celejar