Good time of the day, Stephen.

You wrote:

> As a result of my stupidity in attempting to modify the screen
> drivers I have managed to change my display into something really
> ugly.
>
> The aspect ratio is off and the number of available fonts is really
> limited. (I also have OpenSUSE 12.2 on another HD and the screen is
> normal, leading me to conclude that the problem lies in Debian)
>
> I have switched to Debian and am wondering what display utilities are
> available?  Google hasn't been on any help

If You did some config. modifications by a normal user, then You can
simply move all the user's home dir. content to another place and then
relogin.

If did that under root user, then You have to reconfigure those
services, for example by simple removal of the config.s to safe place
and restart the service, OR using debian package reconfigurator, or
download from Internet its options OR reinstall the package having
purged it previously.

Sthu.