Apologies to the OP, sent it directly to him by mistake, resending to the list.

On 10/10/2012 06:30, Gary Roach wrote:

On 10/09/2012 07:11 PM, Wally Lepore wrote:
 On Tue, 09 Oct 2012 16:53:14 -0700 Gary writes:

 I have a Toshiba Qosmio with 2 60 GB hard drives, one with Windows XP and the
other with Debian Squeeze.
 I just decided to add my wife as a user to the linux side. For some reason the
login screen won't work.
 I set up her account in passwd and group and I set up her home directory.
 I can log her in as an su user with no problem. When I re-boot the system and
the splash screen comes up (KDE4),
 I can enter her name and password but the system rejects the pass word.
 I've checked everything about 3 times and can find nothing wrong.
 I would guess that I have missed some niggally detail. The Windows XP side
works fine. Any ideas?

 Gary, I found this thread by someone who has as similar problem as
 yourself. Perhaps it may help.
 http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?p=45579

 Regards
 wally

Thanks for the reply. I read the reference but no joy. My login problem
is happening at the kdm level before the OS is even started (I think).
How does one activate /deactivate the initial login screen. I know this
is possible. I think I set this up when I initially installed Debian
from the iso network installation disk. I probably prompted me through
the process at the time. I have since completely forgotten what I did at
the time. I think I need to re configure kdm somehow.

Gary R.

Hi,

to reconfigure kdm:

dpkg-reconfigure kdm

You could also try another login manager (gdm)

Did you check the permissions&owner:group of /etc/shadow ?

Are you sure it's not a locale setting, is the keyboard layout the right one in kdm, did you use any special sign in the password ? (hint: try to write the password in kdm user name field to see if it's correct).

You could also disable login with password for this account altogether in "systemsettings" as a temporary workaround, if you are comfortable with security implications.

Just a few ideas to help you get on the right track.