On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 08:24:50AM -0500, Mark Allums wrote:
> I am using Icedove, AKA Thunderbird, with an IMAP server.  After
> deleting (or marking for deletion), the messages will reappear in
> the Inbox, or if in the Inbox and marked, they will become unmarked.
> This happens whether I do it manually or a filter rules "moves" the
> message to a folder.  (The latter occurrence causes one or more
> copies to be put into the intended folder, and the original
> reappears in the Inbox, resulting in at least two copies of the
> message.)

Does the same happen with a different MUA (say, evolution or mutt)? If
so, it's an issue with your IMAP server (you didn't say if that's
self-hosted or provided by someone else). For example, the indexes might
be read-only or perhaps you have two clients fighting over the idea of
which messages are read etc.