On Tuesday 16 October 2012 07:05:54 Chris Bannister wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 09:36:28PM +0100, Lisi wrote:
> > Yes, and you don't need to say
> > su root.
> > Just
> > su
> > is enough.
>
> True, but then su on its own won't "source" root's environment, whereas
> "su -" will source root's environment as though you'd actually logged in
> as root. Try them both to see what I mean.

Please, Chris, don't lets give Wally still more possibilities of "confusion".
I wa  trying to give him as simple a set of instructions as possible, in the
hope that he might actually try it.  KISS and all that.

> > Debian by default does not allow booting into a GUI as root.
>
> Weird, I can type "startx" as root and it throws me into a default fvwm
> desktop.  I am running wheezy with fvwm. I think I remember a time when
> I couldn't do that!

That's not by default.  The reason that I said "by default" is that I know
that it can be done, but by default you cannot go to the login screen
presented by kdm, gdm etc. and log in as root.  And he does not need to log
in as root to do what he wants to do.  He just needs to do one of the various
methods that have been suggested.

Lisi