You can do #dpkg-reconfigure gdm, but I am not sure it will solve your problem.

What do you mean by "keyboard off"? Can not you switch to a TTY (CTRL+ALT+Fxx with xx being 1-6) ? If yes, then, you are not able to boot in recovery and you can just kill gdm (#killall gdm or #/etc/init.d/gdm stop should work) before doing the reconfigure stuff.

If your problem happen after having installed "lib-virt" I think the best solution is just to remove it. On a TTY, as root, you can do that by using both "#aptitude purge lib-virt", "#apt-get remove lib-virt" or even using the ncurses aptitude's interface by typing "#aptitude" (here, use "/" to start a search, and '-'/'_' to 'remove'/'purge' a package. Use '+' to add one, 'g' to see what you will do and 'g' again to confirm)

Hope it helps.