On Sun, 02 Dec 2012 11:20:01 +0100
Pierre Frenkiel <pierre.frenk...@gmail.com> wrote:

> When I run
>     # apt-get install
>     I get "1763 ackages not upgraded"

hummm...I don't know but I care nothing for these code words squeeze wheezy sid
etc.  I prefer good 'ol stable testing unstable experimental.

>today, I tried to upgrade from squeeze to wheezzy:
>- in source.list, I only left:
> deb http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/ wheezy main contrib non-free

Try these in your 'sources.list as well:

deb http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main contrib non-free
deb-src http://security.debian.org testing/updates main contrib non-free

deb http://debian.lcs.mit.edu/debian/ testing main contrib non-free
deb-src http://debian.lcs.mit.edu/debian/ testing main contrib non-free

deb http://debian.lcs.mit.edu/debian/ unstable main contrib non-free
deb-src http://debian.lcs.mit.edu/debian/ unstable main contrib non-free

deb http://debian.lcs.mit.edu/debian/ experimental main contrib non-free
deb-src http://debian.lcs.mit.edu/debian/ experimental main contrib non-free

#apt-get update

#apt-get dist-upgrade

If you get a complaining message it may suggest you try:  -f install

If you don't get a complaining message you might just as well try one of these
anyway:

#dpkg --configure --pending

What this does is try to configure the packages that were already unpacked,
failing
that try:

#apt-get install -f
#apt-get upgrade -f
#apt-get dist-upgrade -f

>Bob Proulx said: In addition to the sources.list and sources.list.d also ensure
>that any /etc/apt/preferences file has been removed.

I would instead suggest to make or put into your /etc/apt/preferences file:

Package: debian-reference-fr  (en?)
Pin: release a=unstable
Pin-Priority: 500

Package: debian-reference-common
Pin: release a=unstable
Pin-Priority: 500

those lines at least.

and in your /etc/apt/apt.conf file:

APT::Default-Release "unstable";
Build-Essential "build-essential";

Ignore-Hold "false";
Clean-Installed "true";
Immediate-Configure "true";      // DO NOT turn this off, see the man page
Force-LoopBreak "false";         // DO NOT turn this on, see the man page
Cache-Start "20971520";
Cache-Grow "1048576";
Cache-Limit "0";
Default-Release "";

Install-Recommends "true";
Install-Suggests "false";

there's other stuff you can put in there but that's a good start.

Also I would install the following 'meta' packages:

linux-headers(your architecture) on my computer that would be:
linux-headers-amd64

linux-image-(your architecture) on my computer that would be: linux-image-amd64

that will keep you updated nicely.

xserver-xorg-core  (not a meta as such but brings everything with it you might
need.

I know those sources are further away than France but the fix is in, deus ex
machina.

Fare thee well.

--
CK