Chris Davies wrote:
> peasth...@shaw.ca wrote:
> > At the console,
> > peter@dalton:~$ vlc *.WAV
> > starts a vlc instance and produces audio.
> > The same command via a telnet connection is not so successful.
>
> Don't run telnet, use ssh instead.

Agreed.

> Ssh is usually (almost always, by default) configured to carry the
> display across the connection transparently,

Never by default.  It would be a security issue.  Think keyboard
loggers and other nefarious things.

If you want the X Window display forwarded then you would need to
enable it explicitly.  (You may have enabled it either in your
$HOME/.ssh/config for all connections or edited your system
/etc/ssh/ssh_config enabling it globally but it isn't enabled by
default.)

Command line:

  ssh -X other.example.com

Or long form:

  ssh -o ForwardX11=yes other.example.com

Or in the ~/.ssh/config file for a particular host:

  Host other.example.com
    ForwardX11 yes

Note that while this works to forward the display that the sound from
vlc won't be forwarded.  The sound will still emit from the underlying
host sound system.  If that is fine great.

I haven't done so but vlc has a streaming interface that I have been
wanting to try out.  Without having used it I think the streaming
interface would probably be the superior solution because it would
stream video and sound together to your remote device.

> > Also, vlc doesn't recognize the display as iceweasel does.
> > peter@dalton:~$ vlc --display=:0 *.WAV
> > vlc: unknown option or missing mandatory argument `--display=:0'
>
>     DISPLAY=:0 vlc *.WAV
> or
>     export DISPLAY=:0
>     vlc *.WAV
> or
>     cvlc *.WAV

Agreed.  But the natural follow-on to this would be to use the DISPLAY
to set to a remote display such as:

  DISPLAY=otherhost.example.com:0 vlc *.WAV

And that will run into the issue that by default X Window servers
these days no longer listen to the network for connections.  In the
old days those were wide open.  But these sayd the "-nolisten tcp" is
passed to X on the command line.

  $ ps -ef | grep X | grep --color -e "-nolisten tcp"

That configuration is a good safe configuration.  But it means that X
is listening on the localhost 127.0.0.1 address only and won't be
available for network connections.  See this file for details:

  /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc

On a local friendly private network behind a firewall or not connected
to a hostile network it is probably okay to remove that option and
open the machine up for throwing the display from machine to machine.

Note that then the additional thing you would need is to use 'xhost'
to enable other systems to connect to your display.  This still
operates in the traditional manor that anyone who has used it before
will remember.  Read the man page.  But if you have decided to go this
route then you are probably okay with lowered security in which case
most people tend to use "xhost +" to keep it simple regardless of the
security implications.

I recommend looking at the vlc network streaming interface.

Bob