frank.jan...@actrix.co.nz wrote:
> A Debian wheezy server sometimes shows root shells on the logon window.
> The system services a number of thin clients with public access. This is a
> critical security problem.

Please describe this further.  I cannot recreate your report.
Actually I don't fully understand what you are saying here since your
description was incomplete.

You say Debian Wheezy.  Good.  You say services thin clients.  How?
By what methods are the thin clients serviced?  Are they NFS diskless?
Are they X terminals using XDMCP?  Other?

Most importantly you say a "root shell on the login window" but that
needs more description.  Are you running a graphical login manager
such as xdm, gdm, gdm3, kdm, lightdm?  If so which one are you using?

Is this a "kiosk" system with autologin enabled?

> The root shell window is a white rectangle overlaying the actual login
> pane. Any information would be appreciated.

This sounds like a local modification.  Debian Wheezy does not do
anything like this by default.  Please supply more information.

Bob