Mark Phillips wrote:
> I am running Debian testing (amd64) and after running an aptitude
> update/upgrade my wired network stopped working. I get a cable unplugged
> message. The cable is OK and the router is OK and the link pulses are
> there. My wireless is still working.
>
> My system:
> Linux version 3.1.0-1-amd64 (Debian 3.1.8-2) (b...@decadent.org.uk) (gcc
> version 4.6.2 (Debian 4.6.2-11) ) #1 SMP Tue Jan 10 05:01:58 UTC 2012

The kernel current for Debian Testing is linux-image-3.2.0-4-amd64 and
your 3.1 would be quite a bit older.  The first thing I would try
would be to upgrade to the current Testing kernel.

The linux-image-amd64 is a pseudo package that will always depend upon
the current kernel.  I imagine that you don't have it installed and
therefore your apt is not automatically offering newer kernels for
upgrade.  I am pretty sure that 3.1 dates from 7 Jan 2012.

> Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI
> Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 03)

Be sure to also install the firmware-realtek package.

  apt-get install linux-image-amd64 firmware-realtek

> # The primary network interface
> #allow-hotplug eth0
> NetworkManager#iface eth0 inet dhcp

That looks like a comment error.  The NetworkManager package replaces
(replaced?) "iface eth0 inet dhcp" with "#NetworkManager#iface eth0
inet dhcp" but in your case that seems to have been munged.

Since you have replaced the above with a full static IP setting just
remove that entire "NetworkManager#iface eth0 inet dhcp" line.  I
doubt this is your problem but since I don't know what effect that
will have it might be the problem.

> auto eth0
> iface eth0 inet static
>     address 192.168.25.150