Hi,

I use Debian unstable. After booting up the machine in the morning, I
found that root's .bash_history file is missing.

Suspecting a break-in, I searched for any other traces, examined all
/var/log/* files thoroughly, did chkrootkit, tried to locate any
suspicious-looking files, processes, connections. I found nothing.

The only thing is that the .bash_history file was missing.

I update and dist-upgrade the distribution every day. I've seen that
yesterday bash was updated. Is it possible that an update script
deleted the file? What other cause (if not a break-in) could make the
.bash_history file disappear?

Thanks in advance,
--
Adam