Geeks.com has refurbished 1U mini rack-mount servers, about 5 years old, for cheap enough that I want to get one to play with. Two 4-core Xeon processors (do not support hyperthreading) and either 4GB or 8GB of RAM, a small hard drive, RAID controller, no sound, and very low-end integrated graphics.

Is Debian an okay distribution to run on something like that? And which flavor, AMD64?

Don't ask me what I'm going to actually *do* with it when I get it up and running, I just want to see if I *can* get it running and stable, with Linux and maybe a spare XP Pro (32-bit) license I have. Then run Seti or protein-folding workloads on it until I get bored and move on to another project :-)

Thanks,
Bob