Begin forwarded message:

Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2013 09:40:26 -0400
From: "Stephen P. Molnar" <s.mol...@sbcglobal.net>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Wheezy/Testing Sound Problem

I have just re-installed Wheezy/Testing/Xfce on my production computer.
Te action was caused by a HD failure.  The sound was working before the
disaster.

The problem is that the sound is not working at this point, other that
clicking noises as the system is booting.

lspci -v as a user gave me (in part):

01:01.0 Multimedia audio controller: ESS Technology
ES1938/ES1946/ES1969 Solo-1 Audiodrive (rev 01) Subsystem: ESS
Technology Solo-1 Audio Adapter Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency
64, IRQ 17 I/O ports at e080 [size=64]
        I/O ports at e000 [size=16]
        I/O ports at dc00 [size=16]
        I/O ports at d880 [size=4]
        I/O ports at d800 [size=4]
        Capabilities: <access denied>
        Kernel driver in use: snd_es1938

I assume (always dangerous of course) that the next to the last line
is the problem.  I would appreciate a pointer to the solution.

Thanks in advance.

--
Stephen P. Molnar, Ph.D.                Life is a fuzzy set
Foundation for Chemistry                Stochastic and multivariate

I just ran this:

computation@abnormal:~$ /usr/bin/speaker-test

speaker-test 1.0.25

Playback device is default
Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 1 channels
Using 16 octaves of pink noise
Rate set to 48000Hz (requested 48000Hz)
Buffer size range from 32 to 16384
Period size range from 32 to 16384
Using max buffer size 16384
Periods = 4
was set period_size = 4096
was set buffer_size = 16384
 0 - Front Left
Write error: -32,Broken pipe
Write error: -5,Input/output error
xrun_recovery failed: -5,Input/output error
Transfer failed: Operation not permitted