On a Dell Precision M4600 laptop, I installed a clean Wheezy release,
installed nvidia drivers along with the dkms packages that go with. Because
of network driver trouble, I took the kernel from sid.

After that, everything works fine. I mean, video is fine.  Networking still
a problem. Here is my version information:

$ dpkg -l | grep nvidia
ii  glx-alternative-nvidia
0.2.2                              amd64        allows the selection of
NVIDIA as GLX provider
ii  libgl1-nvidia-alternatives
304.88-1                           amd64        transition libGL.so*
diversions to glx-alternative-nvidia
ii  libgl1-nvidia-glx:amd64
304.88-1                           amd64        NVIDIA binary OpenGL
libraries
ii  libglx-nvidia-alternatives
304.88-1                           amd64        transition libgl.so
diversions to glx-alternative-nvidia
ii  libxvmcnvidia1:amd64
304.88-1                           amd64        NVIDIA binary XvMC library
ii  nvidia-alternative
304.88-1                           amd64        allows the selection of
NVIDIA as GLX provider
ii  nvidia-glx
304.88-1                           amd64        NVIDIA metapackage
ii  nvidia-installer-cleanup
20120630+3                         amd64        Cleanup after driver
installation with the nvidia-installer
ii  nvidia-kernel-common
20120630+3                         amd64        NVIDIA binary kernel module
support files
ii  nvidia-kernel-dkms
304.88-1                           amd64        NVIDIA binary kernel module
DKMS source
ii  nvidia-settings
304.88-1                           amd64        Tool for configuring the
NVIDIA graphics driver
ii  nvidia-support
20120630+3                         amd64        NVIDIA binary graphics
driver support files
ii  nvidia-vdpau-driver:amd64
304.88-1                           amd64        NVIDIA vdpau driver
ii  xserver-xorg-video-nvidia
304.88-1                           amd64        NVIDIA binary Xorg driver

  linux-image-3.8-1-amd64                3.8.12-1
amd64        Linux 3.8 for 64-bit PCs
ii  linux-image-amd64
3.8+47                             amd64        Linux for 64-bit PCs
(meta-package)

--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science      Assoc. Director