On Sun, May 19, 2013 at 6:21 PM, Klaus Doering
<klaus.doering...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 19/05/13 12:48, Arun Khan wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, May 19, 2013 at 2:15 PM, Klaus Doering
>> <klaus.doering...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I agree that in a different setting, where there are many users,
>>> hundreds of emails per minute and other mission-critical stuff is going
>>> on, one needs to design the infrastructure a lot more carefully.
>>>
>> As a thumb rule, any system providing a service (e.g. email) ought to
>> be configured with static IP.  With email, you also need a DNS with a
>> MX resolving to the hostname/IP number of your email server.
>>
>>> So, the initial question remains unanswered: what happens to the
>>> information provided by the dhcp server as reported in the lease file in
>>> /var/lib/dhcp, how is it accessed, and is there a way to make exim4 use
>>> it?
>>>
>> I use postfix, so cannot comment about exim.  In postfix, to the best
>> of my understanding, there is no provision to get network parameter
>> information from dhclient files.  I suspect the same is the case with
>> exim.
>>
> Thanks Arun,
>
> This email server is not directly connected to the 'net, it sits behind
> a router. Thus, there is one external IP for which I've registered an "A"
> record and an "MX" record on a public DNS server, and then there is an
> internal IP server on my LAN. The later one is fixed, but is not defined
> in a config file on the server, but is "reserved" in the DHCP server and
> assigned to the server. Same for the domain name, which internally
> (i.e. on my LAN) is distributed by the DHCP server. In "dnsmasq" this
> would be the "domain=" option. And it is this option that is not
> acknowledged by exim.

Whether a server sits on the WAN or an internal LAN (with no
visibility on the WAN),  the  principles of configuration are the
same.  Instead of public route-able IPs you would be dealing with
private IPs.

The FQDN is extracted from /etc/hosts entry and hostname from /etc/hostname [a]

[a]
<http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch05.en.html#_the_domain_name>

IMO, you would be better off configuring the system with static ip and
FQDN in /etc/hosts.

As others have pointed out, this is the standard practice for server setup.

Alternately, you could query on the exim mailing list to resolve your
requirement.

--
Arun Khan
Sent from my non-iphone/non-android device