Greetings, everybody.

I wonder who else sees this at the moment on systems running Jessie. I know
that running the testing version will require bug fixing sometimes, I don't
mind that. I just need some help to understand what's wrong. I am running
XCFE4, some of the problems I see may be specific to that, but not all.

I needed some updated libraries from Jessie, so I enabled that repository
and tried to get just a few libraries.  However, the dependency list was
pretty large. When synaptic tried to update libc6, it paused with the
warning that said xscreensaver or xlockmore is running, if you don't stop
that, then users won't be able to log in.  It pauses while you kill that,
so I killed xscreensaver, the install proceeded, seemed fine. But, guess
what?  The user I was logged in under when the install occurred still can't
complete the login. The X session tries to start, but then closes
immediately.  It crashes  back to the login screen.  Other users can log
in, which is nice, because I can go in and see the config files for the
troubled user.

If I had the problem that the libc6 installer warning was warning me about,
how would I know and how would I fix it?

I've found some stupid hacks that don't solve the problem, but work around
it. Log in as somebody else, eliminate the $HOME/.cache folder in the
troubled user account, then the trouble user can log in, however, after
logging out, some bad crap is written in .cache again, and the user can no
longer log in. Something's clearly wrong, I have no idea.

Here's another tidbit, maybe I'm seeing something more generally wrong with
gtk or libc. I run synaptic, but when I try to  view the repositories,
synaptic refuses, and says

"The repository information has changed. You have to click on the "Reload"
button for your changes to take effect"

That happens over and over, after reloading. I've learned that this happens
because synaptic is trying to launch software-properties-gtk, which no
longer works. Here's it from a terminal.

pauljohn@pjlap-d7:~$ software-properties-gtk
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/software-properties-gtk", line 38, in <module>
    from softwareproperties.gtk.SoftwarePropertiesGtk import
SoftwarePropertiesGtk
  File
"/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/softwareproperties/gtk/SoftwarePropertiesGtk.py",
line 39, in <module>
    from DialogCacheOutdated import DialogCacheOutdated
  File
"/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/softwareproperties/gtk/DialogCacheOutdated.py",
line 27, in <module>
    import aptdaemon.client
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/aptdaemon/client.py", line 70, in
<module>
    class MemoizedMixIn(MemoizedTransaction, GObject.GObjectMeta):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gi/module.py", line 316, in
__getattr__
    return getattr(self._introspection_module, name)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gi/module.py", line 135, in
__getattr__
    self.__name__, name))
AttributeError: 'gi.repository.GObject' object has no attribute
'GObjectMeta'

I'm wondering if I'm looking  Jessie updates that will stabilize soon-ish,
or if I have something broken that I need to try to fix.  So I'm open to
suggestions.

pj
--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science      Assoc. Director