On Mon, 17 Jun 2013 18:01:49 +0200
Dirk <noi...@pwnoogle.com> wrote:

i updated from the old unstable to the new unstable during the last
stable release... everything went smooth except the grub 2.00
update... after reboot it ended up showing the worthless grub rescue
console...

Here's your first problem: there is no old or new unstable. There is
just unstable, enduring through the ages...

OK, it's a different unstable every day, but there is no concept of
'version'. It just gets continuously updated. If you have updated it
for the first time in many months, yes, there is a chance of failure,
as such a large amount of software has changed. If you make use of
unstable, you need to update it frequently. I do it nearly every day on
my main workstation, but that isn't really necessary.

There is no carefully researched and planned one-step upgrade as there
is between consecutive stable versions, as a new plan of this kind
would have to be created almost hourly. You just take pot luck and fix
it if it breaks. You're pioneering the next stable upgrade, and
somebody has to be the first to fall down the hidden potholes.

As to grub... yes, I know. Nearly all the (Linux) software trouble I
had over the course of about five years was due to grub. It has been OK
for a couple of years now, and when the grub changes occur in unstable,
they do seem to work.

The bottom line is that if you run unstable, you take what it throws at
you. There is no Windows equivalent: Microsoft wouldn't dare, they
don't release anything earlier than their equivalent of frozen
testing, and they expect their beta testers to do some work in
exchange for their free OS. These beta testers, of course, have no
access to the source code, and they make up only a very tiny fraction
of Windows users. A much higher percentage of Debian users run testing
and/or unstable.

If you don't like the heat, there is testing, or even stable if you
don't want to do any development work at all. Even testing is a little
hairy at the moment, I believe.

--
Joe

thanks for shining your wisdom on me...

i /am/ updating unstable at least twice a week for many years now and the problem occured contemporarily with the last release of stable...

now your nitpicking over the "old"/"new" aside... your email didn't help at all... please spare me.. i already have the taste of vomit in my mouth..

also did i google for the problem and realized that i am not alone with it... so i stop caring... it /will/ be fixed...

Dirk