On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 1:37 AM,  <a...@alphanet.ch> wrote:
> Hi,
> I am a debian user and I am looking to buy a new computer (I will build it).
> I simply wonder if it is better to take a graphic card with an ATI or a
> NVIDIA chipset.
> Can someone please give me an advice ?

Are you going to play games, or program with OpenCL or similar?

If not, I strongly recommend using Intel integrated graphics.

If you are getting a new system it should be Sandy Bridge or Ivy
Bridge (I don't think Haswell for desktop is widely available yet?)
and the GPU in either of those is more than good enough for desktop
use. Indeed they have no problem with games like Half Life 2 on
highest settings (and I suspect much newer stuff as well - but HL2 is
about the newest thing I have personal experience with, and frankly
that is a lot of power...we just don't realize it sometimes now).

Intel has wonderfully well supported Open Source drivers (no closed
drivers at all).

If you do need more power, I personally would go with AMD a generation
back (OSS drivers). I am not willing to use closed drivers, both for
ideology and for the hassle the create with kernel updates...others
may disagree...

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers