From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf mardorf@alice-dsl net>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Switching to 64 bit
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 04:30:12 +0200

The short answer:

Backup your current Linux and then switch to 64-bit. What happens is
between "no noticeable changes" and "noticeable advantages". I'm not
aware about any drawbacks.

The long answer:

On Thu, 2013-06-27 at 19:44 -0500, Yaro Yaro wrote:
> Honestly, there's not really any major issue with Flash on 64-bit
> unless you use nspluginwrapper. Use native 64-bit flash.
>
> Debian's multilib is a lot better, so the only issue is maybe in
> support for software only "available" in 32-bit.
>
> Conrad
>
> On Jun 27, 2013 7:12 PM, "Frank McCormick" <debianl...@videotron.ca>
> wrote:
>         I am running 32 bit Sid and am thinking about a new computer
>         which has a 64 bit Intel CPU. How much of a hassle will it be
>         switching my installation over ? I know there are some
>         problems with Flash but what about the kernel and so forth- I
>         am not a newby but this is the first time I've considered a a
>         major change.
>
>         Thanks for any advice.

Ouch! regarding to nspluginwrapper, regarding to
http://packages.debian.org/search?suite=squeeze&arch=amd64&keywords=nspluginwrapper
it's only available for [squeeze] , but not for [squeeze-updates]
[squeeze-backports] [wheezy] [wheezy-backports] [jessie] [sid]
[experimental], however,
http://wiki.debian.org/Flash
Adobe Flash Player for a long time is available for 64-bit architecture,
but "NOTE: Adobe Flash Player 11.2 will be the last version to target
Linux as a supported platform. Adobe will continue to provide security
backports to Flash Player 11.2 for Linux." -
http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/?promoid=JZEFT

The good news, for many videos Flash Player isn't needed anymore, the
bad news, it's still needed for some videos, e.g. if they start with a
commercial, if you want to watch such videos or you want to visit sides
that make usage of another unique Flash thingy, then soon or later
you're screwed.

32-bit software usually does run on 64-bit architecture without issues,
the only exceptions I know are native Windows applications, such as
native Windows VSTs.

I never had issues using 64-bit architecture, using it for years, but I
don't make usage of Windows applications, I really prefer Linux ;).

I wonder that people use Linux, when they like to get all that Windows
crap. Really, the best way to make usage of Windows things is running
Windows. If there's more interest in Linux applications, then the answer
is ...

there are no issues with 64-bit architecture. Perhaps there will be
issues when updating from 32-bit to 64-bit, but not when making a new
install. Kernels are ok, apps are ok, nothing is less good using 64-bit.
You won't notice a difference or if you notice a difference, then 64-bit
will be better.

YMMV!
Ralf