On Sun, 07 Jul 2013, andrey.ry...@bilkent.edu.tr wrote:

> > Check to see if you have a symbolic link "nvidia"
> > in /usr/lib/nvidia which eventually points
> > to /usr/lib/nvidia/current/nvidia_drv.so
> yes i have:
>
> /usr/lib/nvidia/nvidia: symbolic link to `/etc/alternatives/nvidia'
> /etc/alternatives/nvidia: symbolic link to `/usr/lib/nvidia/current'
> # file /usr/lib/nvidia/current
> /usr/lib/nvidia/current: directory
> # ls /usr/lib/nvidia/current
> libglx.so       nv-control-dpy        nvidia_drv.so
> nvidia-settings nvidia-settings.desktop
> libglx.so.304.88  nvidia-bug-report.sh        nvidia.ids
> nvidia-settings.1.gz
>

> > And if you're trying to install the nvidia graphics driver, modprobe
> > isn't the way to do it, at least, on Wheezy.  You need to create an
> > xorg.conf file in /etc/X11 and blacklist the default driver, most
> > likely nouveau, in /etc/modprobe.d, then reboot.  Google for the
> > specific instructions.
>
> i have jessy. why modprobe cannot find nvidia_drv.so? when i used

modprobe only looks /lib/modules/<kernelname> for loadable modules.
Try using the full path to the nvidia driver.  However, you'll still
need to be sure the default driver isn't loaded at boot time.

> wheezy i didnot need the xorg.conf. it stopped to work after
> upgrading. There was no problem when i had upgraded from wheeze to
> jessy. But when kernel version was changed to 3.9 the problem was
> occuring. What can be broken?

Why don't you try creating an xorg.conf and blacklisting the default
graphic driver.  This is the accepted way according to nVidia to
enable its driver in Wheezy.  Won't hurt to try it for Jessie.

Here's my /etc/X11/xorg.conf

==========

# minimal xorg.conf for prop. nvidia driver

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "EVGA GeForce 8400GS"
    Driver      "nvidia"
EndSection

==========

Here's my /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia-common-kernel.conf

alias char-major-195* nvidia
options nvidia NVreg_DeviceFileUID=0 NVreg_DeviceFileGID=44
NVreg_DeviceFileMode=0660
# To enable FastWrites and Sidebus addressing, uncomment these lines
# options nvidia NVreg_EnableAGPSBA=1
# options nvidia NVreg_EnableAGPFW=1

# see #580894
blacklist nouveau