On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 04:43:07PM +0000, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Jul 2013 14:57:14 +0000, Hendrik Boom wrote:

> > It now looks as if chromium's DNS cache may not be the problem.
> > Chromium must be getting slashdot's IP address from somewhere else --
> > somewhere that firefox and ping don't access.

> >> Navigate to chrome://net-internals/#dns and press the "Clear host
> >> cache"
> >> button.
> >
> > After navigating there from chromium and pressing the button,
> > slashdot.org doesn't appear in the listing of the cache entries on that
> > page.
> >
> > But the misbehaviour still persists, even after a reboot.
> >
> > And firefox and chrome and ping still reach the right site.
> >
> > And when I go to chrome://net-internals/#dns on chrome itself, it tells
> > mem it *does* have slashdot.org in its cache, with the right IP number.
> >
> > The cache chromium reveals with chrome://net-internals/#dns clearly has
> > different contents from the one that chrome reveals -- which confirms
> > that they have different caches.
> >
> > And even after browsing to slashdot.org in chromium and getting to the
> > wrong place, going to chrome://net-internals/#dns with chromium still
> > indicates that slashdot.org is not in the cache.
> >
> > So I'm suspecting that chrome://net-internals/#dns may not reeveal the
> > real cache in chromium.
> >
> > So where *is* chromium getting this misinformation?
> >
> > Just for reference, here's my /etc/resolv.conf file:
> >
> > # Generated by NetworkManager domain topoi.pooq.com search
> > topoi.pooq.com nameserver 8.8.8.8 nameserver 8.8.4.4
> >

> > -- hendrik
> >

> >> Source -
> >> http://superuser.com/a/203702
>
> It's been most of a week now, and the problem persists.
> Chromium still insists on going to the website normally known as
> topoi.pooq.com when I request slashdot.org.
>
> Neither iceweasel nor chrome do this; both find the proper slashdot.org.
>
> Even ping finds the proper site.
>
> The problem presumably started a week ago when there was a temporary
> networking problem, but only chromium seems to have fixated on the wrong
> IP address.
>
> I have followed the procedure for clearing chromium's dns cache.  When I
> look at the cache contents, slashdot isn't in it.  Does chromium have
> another, secret cache?
>
> And it appears that I do not have nscd running, or even installed.
>
> I'm starting to think of shuttering chromium forever, assuming I can copy
> its bookmarks elsewhere, say, to chrome.

---end quoted text---

Why would you need to copy your bookmarks? Presumably you used bookmark
sync with Chromium, thus they will be available to Google-Chrome when
you login into your Google account the 1st time in Chrome.

Have you tried using a different DNS server? Try the Google DNS servers,
Google will give you their address -- I don't have them handy at the
moment.

--
Cheers,
Stephen, Toronto