On 8/14/13, Anubhav Yadav <anubhav1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 12:08 PM, Bob Proulx <b...@proulx.com> wrote:
>> To verify that your /etc/fstab line is correct you should mount using
>> it instead of doing all of it above.
>>
>>   # umount /media/dvd-mountpoint1
>>   # mount /media/dvd-mountpoint1
> Yes it works!!

Great start. You should be able to do similar for second dvd.

>>   deb file:/media/dvd-mountpoint1 wheezy main contrib

>> Agreed.  Try it again with the above.  I just tried it on my system to
>> test it.
>>
> Did that, here is the output
>
> root@Innovator:/home/neo1691# apt-get update
> Ign file: wheezy Release.gpg
> Get:1 file: wheezy Release [18.6 kB]
> Err file: wheezy/non-free amd64 Packages
>
> Err file: wheezy/non-free amd64 Packages
>   File not found
> W: Failed to fetch
> file:/media/dvd1-mountpoint/dists/wheezy/non-free/binary-amd64/Packages
                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Can you find this file?

cd around into those directories, and make sure the directory that you
find the file Packages in is correct.

Sometimes, the problem is, that you will find file Packages.gz, but no Packages.
Or may be the other way around. I have had a problem like this in the
past, and I don't know why - but I use debmirror.

I find debmirror pretty good - to start, I copied DVD set into one
directory. Then to an update from debian security archive (ie
"minimal") and include option --no-delete (or whatever its called).
That could be a quick way to create a reasonable single local repo.
That's what I have done (but I update every month or more at a
friend's place).

You can use apt-cdrom to install just a few packages, like debmirror.

In fact years ago I used to use apt-mirror (was written or maintained
by Herbert Xu I think), which is a great little toolbox for
maintaining a local mirror, create a quick-and-dirty local index etc.
Probably easier for you, but so long ago I can't remember the commands
I used any more sorry.

And finally, for the SIMPLEST quick-and-dirty local repo:
dpkg-scanpackages . /dev/null | gzip - > Packages.gz

Then just make sure Packages.gz is found by apt - can't remember how
this would work - a flat file? - or just put it in the above location
(where you got "file not found" error).

Hard to beat a one-line command :)

Good luck
Zenaan