On Mon, Sep 2, 2013 at 4:41 PM, Stan Hoeppner <s...@hardwarefreak.com> wrote:
> On 9/1/2013 9:44 PM, Joel Rees wrote:
>> On Mon, Sep 2, 2013 at 7:18 AM, Pascal Hambourg <pas...@plouf.fr.eu.org>
>> wrote:

>>> This has nothing to do with bus width.
>>
>> Not an entirely separate issue from the address bus width, however.
>
> While it's possible to back track a CPU's ISA from knowing the address
> line width, there are far more practical and fool proof methods to
> determining the ISA.

Really? I mean, for the un-initiate?

>> Just for fun, I looked at what this box tells me with lscpu and
>> cat-ting /proc/cpuinfo. The relevant lines in the reply are, for
>> lscpu,
>>
>>     CPU op-mode(s):        32-bit
>>
>> which tells me that it can run OSses in 32-bit mode, I think.
>
> You're making this harder than need be.  Look at the 'flags' data in
> /proc/cpuinfo.  If you see 'lm' it's a 64 bit ISA CPU and can run a 64
> bit OS.  If 'lm' is not present it's a 32 bit only CPU.  'lm' represents
> "Long Mode" which is the operating mode of x86-64 processors that
> enables execution of 64 bit instructions.
>
> --
> Stan

Which is great if you happen to know that lm iin the flags means "long
mode" and that "long" in this case means the ability to use and
calculate "long=64 bit" addresses at a pace useful enough to run the
64 bit (addressing) OS.

(And it's not just us old fogies. There are still a lot of contexts in
which "long" still means 32 bit addresses. Just because Intel is
trying to forget its roots doesn't mean the rest of the world is on
their bandwagon.)

--
Joel Rees