On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 9:00 PM, Chris Bannister
<cbannis...@slingshot.co.nz> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 09, 2013 at 08:21:43AM +0100, Dom wrote:
>>
>> It does have a manpage:
>> http://manpages.debian.net/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=float.h

It's funny, I was sure I had gotten that particular man page before.

> root@tal:~# apt-cache show manpages-dev
>
>> but perhaps you don't have it installed. I certainly don't.
>
> root@tal:~# apt-cache policy manpages-dev

manpages-dev is loaded on my machine. But digging in, I see something
about glibc-doc. Using synaptic because I'm lazy, I see that glibc-doc
has been split, and glibc-doc-reference contains most of the
documentation for glibc. Split because of license issues, it says. And
glibc-doc is in the usual repository, but glibc-doc-reference is not.

So I enable contrib and non-free because it's late and I don't care
which one has glibc-doc-reference and now I can load
glibc-doc-reference.

But still no response when I do "man float.h" or "man -k DBL_DIG" or
"info DBL_DIG".

    man fgetc

works. So does

    info fgetc

My memory is that it worked with only manpages-dev installed. But even
with glibc-doc-reference installed, nothing on the macros in limits.h
or float.h. Or locale.h. But

    man HUGE_VAL

brings up the man page for the constants in math.h. And I think it did
with just manpages-dev.

I wonder what gives here.

--
Joel Rees