I removed network manager and have this in /etc/network/interaces:

# eth2 managed by bridge and not otherwise mentioned

auto br0
iface br0 inet dhcp
   bridge_ports eth2

That seems to work with the kvm-ifup script provided by wheezy qemu-kvm.

Note I have not rebooted since setting this up, and so it's possible that
might expose problems.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Ross

P.S. I was wondering if tap0 needed to be setup both in interfaces and
kvm-ifup; evidently it does not.