Thank you to everyone who replied.

I think the best thing for me right now would be to NOT try to build my own.
Some of the low-profile ones taht people suggested--Acer, Zotac--seem like
theyd be powerful enough for my needs and able to be modified appropriately
e.g. with an SSD.

(I had a Zotac a few years ago and I really liked it, in fact; I put Ubuntu on
it and used it as a HTPC, but eventually stuck it back on the shelf because i
needed Netflix so replaced it with a Mac Mini.)

I do keep thinking about virtualization, and wanting to have enough computing
power for that. But realistically, evey time i try to run a virtual machine, i
play around with it for a while and get it to work and then conclude i don't
really need to run a VM, so I delete it and stick with my real box. So whatever
desire i have to have a powerful machine that can run several VMs, i force
myself to conclude that im just not going to do this.

Ken specifically--i do have GigE on my router and NAS, and I do regularly move
huge files around, so its a real-world need.

Jen,