On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 1:51 PM, Reco <recovery...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 09:37:02AM -0400, Tom H wrote:
>> On Sun, Oct 27, 2013 at 3:31 AM, Reco <recovery...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I agree that sudo is simpler to setup. I disagree that sudo is
>>> installed everywhere where Solaris is.
>>> Because - it's third-party software. And people don't like to install
>>> third-party software ('vendor didn't included it - we don't use it').
>>
>> Your experience may be different but you can't disagree with what's
>> been my experience over many years in many different companies!
>
> Of course I agree with you. You've seen what you have seen, I have no
> doubts about that. Of course there are people who use sudo on Solaris,
> but - there are people who are not, and who are won't do it. Third-party
> status is one of the reasons for it.

It's a question of cost/benefit. The IT department asks itself: Does
the cost of installing and maintaining sudo outweigh the benefit of
integrating it into the admin workflow?

Invariably the answer's been "yes" everywhere that I've worked, in
spite of the third-party nature of sudo (and the same goes with lsof
BTW, although far less often), to the _official_ dismay of visiting
Sun/Oracle reps and admins.

Using sudo also aligns switch to root for sysadmins and switch to
their special users for developers on Solaris and Linux in terms or
use, logging, and auditing.