Following Andrei's advice, I used dpkg --audit to sort out problems
with network connections, which it did very successfully.

In the process, I discovered that there was quite a list of
unconfigured packages.  These I have been trying to configure.  In
the process I have unleashed a dependency hell, not only worse than I
have ever seen, but worse than I ever imagined.

Is there a trick?  Other than trying one after another going
backwards, and hoping that I will not either go round and round in
circles, or meet a demand for a version that I can see no hope of
installing.

Here is the list as it currently stands.  Help!
http://paste.ubuntu.com/6431514/

In fact, is this sensibly soluble, or should I give up on upgrading
and reinstall?

Thanks!
Lisi