On 12/15/2013 03:07 PM, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> You're welcome.  If you decide to go this route and you run into any
> trouble getting it going, don't hesitate to email me off list.  I may
> not respond quickly but I'll respond.  You said it's been a while since
> you built a system, so add a static strap to your order and use it, if
> you don't already have one.  Winter is static charge season, and the
> last thing you want is to have your board not work after accidentally
> sending static discharge into it.  Often folks don't even realize it
> happened and curse their "DOA" board as being junk, etc.
having worked as a PC tech in Washington DC, in those old Federal
buildings.... our trouble calls always went up around November, til
spring time.. It is amazing what static will do... 15,000 volts is the
minimum you can FEEL, so... I live in Georgia, where it is so humid in
the summer time that I have a dehumidier pulling out 30 gallons A WEEK
from my house. Yet now, in the winter, I have a humidifier in my living
room ( right next to my office) that puts out 3 gallons of water A DAY,
to keep the humidity around 50-54%. I used to HATE slapping the light
switch and getting ZAPPED, now that doesn't happen anymore. My current
desktop is 2 years old, my laptop is 8 years old, neither has suffered a
static issue. Like lightning used to take out modems, static can ruin
computer parts just as fast. and yes, I have a static strap with clip:)

--
Paul Cartwright