> After mounting the card, run chown to set the mmc root directory
> (/media/<whatever>) owner to your regular user.  AFAIK, unixy
> filesystems such as ext3 cannot be told to ignore user permissions.

Yes!  This worked. I think LXDE was acting appropriately given that the
mmc card was formated ext3 instead of vfat.  The answer was simple, as
root: chmod 775 /media/<blah> followed by chown :plugdev /media/<blah>
This allows any use that is in the plugdev group write access to the
card.

The permissions to the /media/<blah> directory persist across inserting
and removing the device.  Thanks for the help.