Hello Debian list,

I've got a WD MyBook Live, and obviously, it runs a Debian-based OS. I would
like to know how I could install the No-IP client, have it store the password
in encrypted form, and automatically update its external IP every 4 hours. It
is not supposed to be a difficult operation, but from what I read elsewhere, it
can turn pretty tricky on this NAS as the slightest error will render it unable
to boot, which is quite problematic on a device you can't dismantle easily and
that still has a warranty on it.

As an additional requirement, what would be the software that would
automatically open ports from the outside regardless of settings? I know that
some software allow for such connections (TeamViewer, Skype), but none are free
and they don't have the same purpose as this NAS anyways.

This NAS, correctly set up, would be plugged on any home network, update its
No-IP alias in minutes, and present an anonymous, upload-only FTP server on the
Internet side. How would I achieve that without bricking it as others did?