On 02/04/2014 01:53 AM, Rick Thomas wrote:

> On Feb 3, 2014, at 8:37 PM, Scott Ferguson
> <scott.ferguson.debian.u...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Mirrors were updating a couple of days ago.... and if you tried to use
>> one during the updating period you would get errors. Could be the problem.
>
> What would it take to make a mirror update atomically?  For example, download
> all the updates, get everything staged and ready to go but not yet visible to
> http clients, then at the flip of a switch, have all the updates become
> visible at once, perhaps with some kind of a "callback" to the currently
> active clients to tell them that things have changed and they should re-get
> everything.  Maybe LVM snapshots would be helpful here?

It wouldn't take anything, if the mirror is following the directions on
http://www.debian.org/mirror/ftpmirror

Specifically "MUST perform a 2-stage sync" which is to avoid this very
problem. "Rationale: if archive mirroring is done in a single stage,
there will be periods of time during which the index files will
reference files not yet mirrored."

> It would require some re-thinking of the protocol used by apt-get/aptitude --
> to be sure the stuff you just downloaded is still current and hasn't been
> changed by an update while you were downloading...  and minimize wasted
> effort by recognizing an update as early as possible.

I politely disagree on this point, this is something well outside of a
package manager's jurisdiction.  It's up to the mirror to say what's
available.

Another thing to look at is if there are any proxy/caching servers
involved that may be serving old versions of the indexes.

> Just a thought...
>
> Rick

Its a good thought, that's why the maintainers ask mirrors do this this
way. :)

- PaulNM