On Sat, 8 Feb 2014 22:40:43 +1300
Chris Bannister <cbannis...@slingshot.co.nz> wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 08, 2014 at 08:55:50AM +0000, Joe wrote:
> > On Sat, 8 Feb 2014 15:10:09 +1300
> > Chris Bannister <cbannis...@slingshot.co.nz> wrote:

> > > How is it risky?
> >
> > I run three or four sid installations. Occasionally a new kernel
> > does not boot, often due to a grub problem.
>
> AFAIUI, if the package has a different name, as newer releases of
> kernels do, then APT won't consider it an update, it is just another
> package.
>
> Hopefully, the average newbie to this list does not run Sid, but
> giving the impression that APT won't replace kernels "as it is a bit
> risky" is incorrect and misleading.
>
> APT will happily replace any package you tell it too, including
> kernels. Of course, for a security patch, the package name doesn't
> change, just the version

Yes, which is why the metapackage is necessary if you want to keep up
with the latest kernel automatically.

The risk is about having that happen without noticing. Generally, I
keep an eye on what sid is updating, but even this long after a
release, it's still tens of megabytes a day. I don't check all of them,
but hopefully listbugs shows the worst problems, and I can deal with
trouble with minor packages. I do look carefully at new kernels, and
have a quick check on the Net to see if anyone else has had problems,
so I consider it a risk to upgrade a kernel in sid, or even testing,
automatically, given the chance that I will be distracted and fail to
notice it.

Yes, I realise I should carefully scrutinise every single package
before upgrading it, not just kernels, but if you use sid in anger, and
there's no point in just keeping it around as a curiosity, then life is
too short.

--
Joe