On 13/02/14 21:41, Gian Uberto Lauri wrote:
> Scott Ferguson writes:
>
>  > So far I'm impressed with
>  > the increased configurability, and especially, the faster boot-times
>  > (SLA goodness!).
>
> Interesting, even if booting is not what my "it should have been a
> laptop" does most, last was more than a week ago.

Perhaps you missed the "SLA" and server reference?  :)

>  > Make the script S12whatever and then install systemd(?)
>  >
>  > # apt-get install systemd systemd-sysv;reboot
>
> Interesting...

In other words, make your changes with the systemv that you know, and
then see if the conversion to systemd picks them up. I'm lazy, and it
worked in my case. Your mileage may vary (I did warn that I have limited
experience with systemd).

>  > http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/systemd.html
>  > https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Systemd
>  > http://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd.unit.html
>  > https://wiki.debian.org/systemd (which is a good place to add anything
>  > you find lacking)
>
> I was searching for pre-installation information like these. The one
> in freedesktop.org is not the clearest one possible...

Agreed. I'm optimistic that will change for the better.

>  > > At this time my fear is that systemd turns out as a very nice tool for
>  > > personal pc but a PITA for servers/vm (as happened for upstep).
>  >
>  > Those "fears" have been considered, debated, and discussed ad-infinitum
>  > by Debian Technical and Debian developers
>
> They are by no means gods, even if Debian has been my system of choice
> for more than ten years (maybe about twenty).

Gods, no. Where the decisions as to what happens with Debian, yes (and
IMNSHO, as it should be). Whether *we* continue to use Debian, or Debian
stock is in our hands - for which I'm grateful.

> And I  am not the only  one that sometimes wonder  about the wonderful
> mushrooms they use for their "risotto coi funghi"...

Goldtop and blue meanies? Best not consumed before driving - although.... :)

>  > I've mostly tested systemd on servers, the only DE I've used it on was
> LXDE.
>
> Mine is /bin/bash, with the help of /usr/local/bin/emacs and X11.

My workstation is KDE, but workstation SOE testing is generally done on
an old T22 where optimisation is, um, more pronounced. I haven't started
testing systemd on servers, as I noted previously, Jessie is a long way
from stable.

>  > Upstep? DYM upstart??
>  > Isn't upstart an Ubuntu thing?
>
> It  is something  I smashed  my face  some years  ago, and  indeed was
> Ubuntu. And some Ubuntu developer told me that the upstart author "had
> never seen a server in her life" :).

I have no opinions about Ubuntu, and I have no plans to change that
(though I guess that constitutes an opinion).
:)

> I was trying to create VM for use with OpenNebula, where they received
> some  configuration informations  on  a "virtual  cd"  created on  the
> fly...

Again, I have no opinions.
As to "hardware that doesn't change" - that's a complex subject that
involves considering whether udev is necessary, long before I consider
the init system. But your use case is surely different - only you can
determine what best suits it.

Kind regards