Thank you for the advice Robin, it worked like a champ!

Mike
On 2/15/2014 6:57 AM, Robin wrote:
On 15 February 2014 13:41, Mike <m...@olddog.name> wrote:
I am trying to install a .deb package from the local hard drive using dpkg
-i <package>.deb.

It appears to read the package and then gives me a list of dependencies that
are missing and that the package cannot be installed.

The problem is that I am trying to move over to Debian from Fedora so am a
NEWBIE in Debian.

Is there a command in either dpkg or apt-get that will load a .deb from the
local hard drive and resolve the dependencies?  I cannot find it in any man
package or document, possibly due to being new to this structure.

Thanks

Mike Dwiggins

After running dpkg -i do:
apt-get -f install
which should help resolve straightforward issues.

from man apt-get:
-f, --fix-broken
            Fix; attempt to correct a system with broken dependencies
in place. This option, when used with install/remove, can omit any
            packages to permit APT to deduce a likely solution. If
packages are specified, these have to completely correct the problem.
The
            option is sometimes necessary when running APT for the
first time; APT itself does not allow broken package dependencies to
exist
            on a system. It is possible that a system's dependency
structure can be so corrupt as to require manual intervention (which
            usually means using dselect(1) or dpkg --remove to
eliminate some of the offending packages). Use of this option together
with -m
            may produce an error in some situations. Configuration
Item: APT::Get::Fix-Broken.