On 2/15/14, Zenaan Harkness <z...@freedbms.net> wrote:
> Trying to set up a Tor relay node, and the tor package recommended
> tor-arm, which I installed too.
>
> Running "arm" gives the following warning:
> 17:27:19 [ARM_NOTICE] Arm is currently running with root permissions.
> This is not a good idea, and will still work perfectly well if it's
> run with the same user as Tor (ie, starting with
>  "sudo -u debian-tor arm").
>
> When I run the above suggested command (as root), I get the following:
> sudo: unable to execute /usr/bin/arm: Permission denied

Found the solution at the bottom of this page:
https://www.torproject.org/docs/tor-relay-debian.html.en
13. You might like to use the arm relay monitor to watch your relay's
activities from the command line. First, "sudo apt-get install
tor-arm". Second, as the user that will be running arm, run "sudo
adduser $USER debian-tor" to add your user to the debian-tor group so
it can reach Tor's controlsocket. Then log out and log back in (so
your user is actually in the group), and run "arm".

Does anyone know if tor arm can be run locally and tunnelled (rather
than remotely logging in and viewing the remote instance)? I tried but
arm seems to want to still talk to a local tor instance. Sorry this is
a separate question.

TIA
Zenaan