I have been installing some games from the humble bundle. They work for
linux, but no sound. The problem is, with Pulse-audio, for each app or
game that needs sound I normally have to start the Pulse Audio Sound App
and change the default for output to sb1040 from Built-in Audio Analog.
In the games, I can't do that, so I get no sound. Any suggestions??

ah, I think I found the answer..There is a button with a green check
mark for each audio device, and the default was for the built-in audio (
which doesn't output any sound. Once I clicked the  default to the
sb1040 and started a game, I had sound!

--
Paul Cartwright