On Wed, 19 Feb 2014, Stephen P. Molnar wrote:

> I have just upgraded my Debian Jessie computer to a
>
> AMD FX 8320, 8-core 3.5 GHz, 16.0MB Cache CPU/ASUS M5 A97 R2.0
> Motherboard/8 MB RAM. I find that the sound is very faint, even with
> the volume set at maximum. I am using the on-board sound:
>
> computation@AbNormal:~$ aplay -l
> card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: ALC887-VD Analog [ALC887-VD Analog]
>    Subdevices: 1/1
>    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 1: ALC887-VD Digital [ALC887-VD
> Digital] Subdevices: 1/1
>    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>
> I have always struggled with sound and have no idea as to the
> solution to this,to me,new problem.
>
> Any pointers in the right direction will be much appreciated.

How did you get Debian on the new machine?  Fresh install?  Or just
switch the hard drive over?

Try the Debian LiveCD and see if the sound works properly  If it does,
then your problem is probably software or configuration.

What sound system are you running ALSA, OSS, Pulseaudio, a
combination, etc., etc?

Check to see if the correct driver is being used for your sound
card/chip.